The Independent Electricity Market Operator of the Philippines (IEMOP) serves as the Independent Market Operator of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM), as required by the Republic Act No. 9136, otherwise known as the Electric Power Industry Reform Act or EPIRA. As jointly endorsed by the market participants and the Department of Energy thru its Circular No. 2018-01-0002, “Adopting Policies for the Effective Transition to the Independent Market Operator of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market,” IEMOP’s main objective is to pursue the WESM objectives of having a fair, competitive, and reliable market for the trading of electricity throughout the Philippines.
IEMOP’s organizational structure supports its vision to become a world-class service organization. While at first glance it exudes the traditional hierarchical structure, it “flattens” within each of the five Departments.
In the Trading Operations Department, for example, there are five Divisions encompassing IEMOP’s core market operation functions, from registration of WESM participants to billing and settlement. This allows for devolution of decision-making at the staff level and encourages self-management under the supervision of the Department Head.
Appropriate policies and mechanisms are also in place to allow for flexibility within IEMOP’s organization structure. Project teams composed of staff from the different Departments may be formed to work on specific projects and assignments as the need arises.
Board of Directors
• Lt. Gen. Ralph A. Villanueva (Ret.) – Chairman
• Atty. Richard J. Nethercott – Director
• Atty. Carroll U. Tang – Director / Corporate Secretary
• Engr. Jose Mari T. Bigornia – Director
• Engr. Jose Rodelio V. Mangulabnan – Director
• MGen. Vicente M. Porto (Ret.) – Director / Treasurer
• Dr. Fernando T. Aldaba, Phd – Director
• Atty. Richard J. Nethercott – President and Chief Executive Officer
• Engr. Robinson P. Descanzo – Chief Operating Officer
• Atty. Sheryll M. Dy – Head, Legal Department
• Mr. Salvador D. Subaran – Head, Information Systems and Technology Department
• Engr. Isidro E. Cacho Jr. – Head, Corporate Strategy and Communications Department
• Engr. Arthur P. Pintado – Head, Internal Audit Department
• Ms. Mary Anne T. Santiago – Senior Manager, Controllership Division